YouTube Softens Its Moderation Standards - 1

Image by Leo Bubliz, from Unsplash

YouTube Softens Its Moderation Standards

  • Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
  • Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager

YouTube has implemented a new moderation policy which instructs staff members to prioritize “freedom of expression” when videos violate platform rules.

In a rush? Here are the quick facts:

  • YouTube now prioritizes free speech over strict content moderation.
  • Misinformation videos may remain if deemed newsworthy.
  • Critics warn looser rules may fuel hate speech and false claims.

As first reported by The New York Times , the new policy enables YouTube to keep controversial content online, including political opinions, offensive speech and misinformation. It allows this content when the platform determines it serves public interest.

The Times reported that content moderators received this policy during training sessions, which started in mid-December. YouTube now permits half of a video to contain rule-breaking content (previously the limit was one quarter) when the video addresses social, or political matters, including elections, gender, race, and abortion topics.

“Recognizing that the definition of ‘public interest’ is always evolving, we update our guidance for these exceptions to reflect the new types of discussion we see on the platform today,” said YouTube spokesperson Nicole Bell, as reported by The Times. “Our goal remains the same: to protect free expression on YouTube while mitigating egregious harm,” Nicole added.

The Times reports that one example YouTube cited in training was a video titled “ RFK Jr. Delivers SLEDGEHAMMER Blows to Gene-Altering JABS, ” which falsely claimed Covid vaccines alter genes.

Though the video violated YouTube’s medical misinformation rules, it was allowed to stay up due to its “newsworthiness” and lack of a direct recommendation against vaccines. The Times says that the video has since been removed, and it’s unclear why.

Critics say this move could boost hate speech and misinformation online. “What we’re seeing is a rapid race to the bottom,” said Imran Ahmed, CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate, as reported by The Times. “This is not about free speech. It’s about advertising, amplification and ultimately profits,” he added.

While YouTube once focused on removing harmful content to please advertisers, it now seems more interested in avoiding political backlash and keeping more content, and viewers, on the platform.

Hackers Hit UNFI, Major Food Distributor For Whole Foods And US Military - 2

Image by iStrfry Marcus, from Unsplash

Hackers Hit UNFI, Major Food Distributor For Whole Foods And US Military

  • Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
  • Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager

United Natural Foods Inc. (UNFI), which operates as the main supplier for Whole Foods and U.S. military commissaries, has confirmed cyberattack that caused operational disruptions, and system shutdowns.

In a rush? Here are the quick facts:

  • UNFI took systems offline and launched investigation.
  • Company warns disruptions are ongoing, timeline unclear.
  • Experts say the attack exposes weak food supply chain protections.

The company announced through a regulatory filing that it discovered unauthorized network activity on June 5, before taking steps to shut down parts of its network.

“The incident has caused, and is expected to continue to cause, temporary disruptions to the Company’s business operations,” the company said.

UNFI, based in Providence, Rhode Island, is the largest full-service grocery distributor across North America. The company delivers products to more than 30,000 stores across the U.S. and Canada while serving Whole Foods and all four U.S. military retail exchanges, as reported by TechCrunch .

A spokesperson, Kristen Jimenez, told TechCrunch, “We are assessing the unauthorized activity and working to restore our systems to safely bring them back online.” She confirmed that law enforcement has been notified but did not comment on whether ransomware was involved.

The company maintains temporary operational solutions to serve customers, however, the service interruptions persist. Whole Foods told Reuters they’re “working to restock our shelves as quickly as possible.”

Experts warn the attack highlights vulnerabilities in the food distribution sector. Dr. Darren Williams of BlackFog said, “When attackers infiltrate backend systems, they can paralyze operations […] disrupt critical logistics and jeopardize timely food access for millions,” as reported by Cybernews

Nick Tausek of Swimlane added, “Downtime isn’t solely an operational inconvenience; it’s a race against spoilage, revenue and reputation loss,” as reported by Cybernews

The company has hired external cybersecurity specialists to investigate the incident. The company has not established a timeline for achieving full recovery, as noted by TechCrunch.

Major retailers including Marks & Spencer and Harrods in the UK have become recent targets of cyberattacks, as hackers increasingly target the supply chains that keep shelves stocked, as noted by TechCrunch.