
Roku Cyberattack Impacts Over 500,000 Accounts
- Written by Shipra Sanganeria Cybersecurity & Tech Writer
- Fact-Checked by
Streaming service provider Roku has disclosed a new data breach incident, impacting nearly 576,000 accounts.
The company said this is the second incident it discovered this month. This discovery was made while investigating the March 2024 breach , where unauthorized actors used stolen login credentials to access 15,000 user accounts.
In both cases, the threat actors had utilized a form of automated cyberattack known as “credential stuffing.”. In this method, hackers use stolen login information from one platform and reuse the same login to gain unauthorized access across multiple sites and accounts.
“There is no indication that Roku was the source of the account credentials used in these attacks or that Roku’s systems were compromised in either incident,” Roku said in a statement on April 12 . The company attributed the attack to login credentials obtained from online accounts unrelated to it.
With an active user base of more than 80 million, Roku said that its security system was not impacted, though some user accounts were breached to make unauthorized purchases.
It said that it identified fewer than 400 cases where stolen information was used to make fraudulent purchases of Roku streaming services and hardware products using the payment data stored in the accounts.
However, it said that the threat actors did not gain access to any sensitive information, including credit card and other payment-related information.
The company, on its part, is implementing several measures to control and deter similar future incidents, including resetting the passwords of the affected accounts and enabling two-factor authentication (2FA) for all Roku accounts.
The company will also notify the impacted customers and refund and reverse charges for accounts where hackers had used stored payment information to make unauthorized purchases.
Advisories went out requesting password resets for all Roku accounts with strong, unique passwords. Roku says to contact the company’s customer support if requests to disclose credentials, update payment details, or click on suspicious links are received.

HoYoverse Opens Signups for Zenless Zone Zero PS5 Technical Test
- Written by Elijah Ugoh Cybersecurity & Tech Writer
- Fact-Checked by
HoYoverse has opened signups for the PlayStation 5 (PS5) technical test for its soon-to-be-released fantasy action role-playing game (ARPG), Zenless Zone Zero . March 30 saw more than 30 million people register The company confirmed on March 30 that the global Zenless Zone Zero pre-registrations had already exceeded 30 million.
The third closed beta registration started on April 10 at 11:00 and will run through April 17, ending at 15:00 (UTC+8). This PS5-specific technical test is set to be held on April 25, separate from the “Amplifying Test”.
HoYoverse has been working on the highly anticipated fantasy ARPG Zenless Zone Zero for a couple of years now. Closed beta testing for the game started in August 2022. This, and pre-registration for interest in the game started in early November last year.
With the release date for PC, mobile, and PS5 expected to be late 2024, HoYoverse wants to get more user feedback from the PlayStation 5 technical test. Zenless Zone Zero is set in the post-apocalyptic world of New Eridu (the last surviving city after the annihilation of contemporary civilization), and players will take on the role of Proxies seeking shelter after the mysterious event.
The signup announcement mentioned that “the game is still in the development stage, and as such, content found in the beta test does not represent the final quality”. However, it is expected that this technical test will give players a glimpse into the final look of Zenless Zone Zero .
The signup is essentially a survey , so people who have previously expressed interest in the game by pre-registering will also need to complete the new survey to be considered for the test.
The only twist is that successfully submitting the survey will “earn” interested gamers a chance to participate in the test, meaning that not all who register might be selected for the test play. Additionally, “this test is only open to users aged 16 and above,” HoYoverse mentioned in the announcement.
Key details regarding the test include its limited account nature, absence of payment options, and data deletion upon completion of the test. The test will be exclusively available on the PlayStation 5 platform and will require at least 40 GB of storage space. It’s different from the Amplifying tests done on PC and mobile platforms for the same game.
While HoYoverse has yet to disclose the exact testing dates, the development team assures eager players that more information will be forthcoming. Because of changes in regulation, there will be no non-disclosure agreement (NDA) or stringent rules regarding sharing gameplay details or visual media.
As stated in the test announcement, “No strict rules will be applied to the test on the sharing, discussion, and distribution of test content.” However, participants are cautioned against engaging in improper conduct, piracy, or other prohibited activities to avoid legal repercussions.