
Photo by David Shankbone on Flickr
Multiple Artists, Including Elton John, Condemn UK’s AI Copyright Plan
- Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Multiple artists have been campaigning against the UK government’s plan to allow developers to use copyrighted content to train AI models. This Sunday, Sir Elton John accused the British government of “committing theft” and described the leaders behind the AI plan as “absolute losers.”
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Multiple artists have complained about the UK government’s plan to allow developers to use copyrighted content to train AI models.
- Sir Elton John accused the British government of “committing theft” and called leaders “absolute losers.”
- Other artists, including Dua Lipa, Florence Welch, and Sir Ian McKellen, signed a petition addressed to the Prime Minister to protect copyright.
In a recent interview with the BBC , Sir Elton John expressed his anger against the government’s recent actions and willingness to allow the use of creative material to train AI. He also warned about young artists being in “danger” as they might not have the resources to fight big tech companies.
“It’s a criminal offence, I think,” said John. “The government are just being absolute losers, and I’m very angry about it.”
Last week, the UK government rejected a proposal to force AI companies to disclose which content they are using to train their models, suggested by the House of Lords.
“The House of Lords did a vote, and it was more than two to one in our favour,” John said. “The government just looked at it as if to say, ‘Hmm, well the old people… like me can afford it.’”
In January, the UK government announced its plan to become a world leader in AI , and said they want both the creative industry and AI companies to succeed.
“We want our creative industries and AI companies to flourish, which is why we’re consulting on a package of measures that we hope will work for both sectors,” said a spokesperson to the BBC. “We’re clear that no changes will be considered unless we are completely satisfied they work for creators.”
A few days ago, John, along with over 400 artists—including Dua Lipa, Florence Welch, and Sir Ian McKellen—signed a petition addressed to Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer to not give away their work to tech companies.

Image by Freepik
Cyber Law Passed In Japan Enables Early Threat Response
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Japan has passed a new law that allows the government to take offensive action against cyberattacks before they cause damage.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Japan passed a law allowing preemptive cyberattacks.
- Law enables monitoring of foreign traffic entering or passing through Japan.
- Offensive cyber actions require prior approval and oversight.
The Active Cyberdefense Law, which received parliamentary approval on Friday, will become fully operational by 2027, as reported by The Japan Times (JT). It aims to develop Japanese cyber capabilities that match or surpass those of major Western countries.
Under the new law authorities, including police and Self-Defense Forces (SDF), can conduct pre-emptive server intrusions on systems suspected of cyberattack preparation. The new law allows them to conduct these investigations before any actual attacks occur. Additionally, it also grants authorities the power to monitor foreign internet traffic that passes through Japan.
This law will help Tokyo “‘equal or exceed’ the cyber capabilities ‘of major European countries and the US,’” said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi, as reported by The Record . He added that it would allow Japan to “identify and respond to cyber attacks more quickly and effectively.”
The Record notes that the move follows a series of high-profile incidents, including a 2023 breach of Japan’s cybersecurity agency that lasted nine months. Reports from 2020 showed Chinese military hackers compromised Japan’s defense networks, in what experts labeled as the nation’s most destructive cyberattack to date.
JT reports that to address privacy concerns, the law strictly limits the data the government can examine. The law blocks personal content, such as email text, while it monitors technical data consisting of IP addresses and attack patterns. A new independent watchdog established under the Cabinet Office will monitor all operations while requiring prior approval for every action.
The officials who misuse data will receive a maximum penalty of four years imprisonment along with a ¥2 million ($13,760) fine, as reported by JT. The law also encourages cooperation with private companies and requires businesses to report cyber incidents and the use of certain communication devices.