Instagram, X, and Bluesky Roll Out New Video Features Amid TikTok’s Temporary Ban in the U.S - 1

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

Instagram, X, and Bluesky Roll Out New Video Features Amid TikTok’s Temporary Ban in the U.S

  • Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
  • Fact-Checked by Justyn Newman Former Lead Cybersecurity Editor

Instagram, Bluesky, and X introduced new video features this weekend amid TikTok’s temporary ban in the United States . Instagram announced a video-editing tool called Edits, while Bluesky and X launched updates to enhance video content in their feeds.

In a Rush? Here are the Quick Facts!

  • Instagram announced Edits, a video-editing platform for mobile users to create and edit videos.
  • Bluesky launched a new video feature for users to custom video feeds on the platform.
  • X is rolling out a new video tab for users in the United States.

Instagram launched a video-editing app, “Edits,” similar to CapCut—ByteDance’s popular platform linked to TikTok—this Sunday, while TikTok and CapCut had been shot down.

On Sunday, Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram and Threads, shared a post on Instagram explaining how the new app works.

“Today we’re announcing a new app called “Edits” for those of you who are passionate about making videos on your phone,” he wrote. “There’s a lot going on right now, but no matter what happens, it’s our job to provide the best possible tools for creators.”

On the same day, Bluesky launched a new video custom feature for users to swipe video content on mobiles.

“We had to get in on the video action too — Bluesky now has custom feeds for video!,” wrote Bluesky on its platform. “Like any other feed, you can choose to pin these or not. Bluesky is yours to customize.”

We had to get in on the video action too — Bluesky now has custom feeds for video! Like any other feed, you can choose to pin these or not. Bluesky is yours to customize. [image or embed] — Bluesky ( @bsky.app ) January 20, 2025 at 4:41 AM

And X—also on Sunday—announced it’s rolling out a new video tab for users in the United States, similar to Bluesky’s update.

you better not be making a dedicated video tab when I get home me: pic.twitter.com/ZbmLBmSbDp — X (@X) January 20, 2025

The social media companies have been updating their platforms and attracting more users as TikTok faces uncertainty regarding its future in the U.S.

A few days ago, Bluesky also announced it is working on a photo-sharing app called Flased , similar to Instagram—after Meta announced the end of its fact-checking program and multiple users decided to delete their accounts.

TikTok Shut Down And Then Restored In The U.S. - 2

Photo by Solen Feyissa on Unsplash

TikTok Shut Down And Then Restored In The U.S.

  • Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
  • Fact-Checked by Justyn Newman Former Lead Cybersecurity Editor

The Chinese video app TikTok shut down in the United States on Saturday night, a few minutes before the ban became effective, but was progressively restored on Sunday afternoon after elected president Donald Trump said he would issue an executive order to allow the use of the app when he returns to office this Monday.

In a Rush? Here are the Quick Facts!

  • Millions of TikTok users in the United States lost access to the Chinese platform for a few hours
  • Donald Trump said he would “save” TikTok and take action to restore service this Monday
  • TikTok has started to reactivate features and accounts across the U.S.

The Chinese video app TikTok was shut down in the United States on Saturday night, a few minutes before the ban became effective, but was progressively restored on Sunday afternoon after President-elect Donald Trump announced he would issue an executive order to allow the use of the app when he takes office this Monday.

According to CNN , American users—around 170 million—saw Tiktok’s blackout. Many shared the message they got when they tried to use the app: “Sorry, TikTok isn’t available right now. A law banning TikTok has been enacted in the U.S. Unfortunately, that means you can’t use TikTok for now.”

On Sunday, Trump said at a rally that he would negotiate and take action to restore the platform’s service. “Frankly, we have no choice. We have to save it,” said Trump, as reported by Reuters.

Just a few hours later, TikTok shared an official statement thanking Trump and announced they were in the process of restoring the service.

“We thank President Trump for providing the necessary clarity and assurance to our service providers that they will face no penalties providing TikTok to over 170 million Americans and allowing over 7 million small businesses to thrive,” wrote the company.

By Sunday night, TikTok was still unavailable in application stores, but many users were able to post and access the platform’s features again.

Trump explained that he would postpone the ban so that he could work on a deal with TikTok and suggested a 50% joint venture with the U.S. government. Many considered Trump’s move a political stunt as he first suggested banning the app in 2020 and raised concerns about the Chinese government’s involvement.