
Image by rawpixel.com, from Freepik
Hackers Use Zoom’s Remote Control Feature To Steal Crypto
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Cybercriminals posing as journalists are exploiting Zoom’s remote control feature to hijack devices and steal cryptocurrency during staged interviews.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Attackers spoof Zoom prompts to gain full computer access.
- Group ELUSIVE COMET linked to $1.5B Bybit theft.
- Victims lured with fake “Bloomberg Crypto” Zoom interviews.
Hackers are exploiting Zoom’s remote control feature to steal cryptocurrency, according to cybersecurity firm Trail of Bits .
The group responsible for the attacks operates under the name ELUSIVE COMET and is suspected to be involved in the $1.5 billion Bybit theft that took place in February. The attackers are now targeting cryptocurrency professionals by pretending to be journalists and inviting them to fake interviews.
The scam typically begins on X , where victims receive a message inviting them to appear on a fraudulent “Bloomberg Crypto” segment. Instead of using official communication channels, the attackers rely on untrustworthy scheduling tools and spoofed Zoom invitations.
During the Zoom call, the attackers enable the platform’s remote control function, a legitimate feature that allows one user to control another’s screen if given permission. They disguise their identity by renaming themselves “Zoom,” making their request appear like a routine system message. If the victim approves the request, the attacker can immediately install malware or extract sensitive data.
Trail of Bits warned that users are often conditioned to click “Approve” on Zoom prompts without considering the consequences, making it easy for attackers to gain full access.
SEAL and Trail of Bits argue that this scam marks a shift in the cybercrime landscape. Instead of exploiting software flaws, attackers are manipulating user behavior and exploiting familiar interfaces. As the team stated, the blockchain industry is entering a new phase of security threats, where human habits pose more risk than technical vulnerabilities.

Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash
Top CISA Cybersecurity Officials Resign, Urge Private Sector To Build Secure Products
- Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Two high-ranking officials at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) in the United States have recently resigned. Both announced their departures on LinkedIn on Monday, describing the move as a difficult decision but offering no further details about their reasons.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Two top officials at CISA announced on LinkedIn their resignations on Monday.
- Both talents worked as chief architects at the Secure by Design program.
- A CISA director said they keep working on improving national security and that they continue to urge companies to build safe products.
According to The Record , Bob Lord and Lauren Zabierek shared public announcements on the social media platform LinkedIn. Lord had been a senior technical advisor for CISA since 2022, and Zabierek since 2023 .
“This was not an easy choice, as service to the nation has been the cornerstone of my career, from my time in uniform, to my years in the intelligence community, and now as a senior advisor at the nation’s cyber defense agency,” wrote Zabierek.
According to Cyberscoop , both talents were chief architects behind CISA’s Secure by Design program, an initiative that encouraged companies to build safe products considering a cybersecurity framework to prioritize users’ safety. Both officials praised the program, and Lord said he will keep “contributing” after a break.
“Being part of this initiative has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my career, one that truly embodies the spirit of public-private partnership and both interagency and international collaboration,” wrote Zabierek.
The departures raise concerns over the future of the Secure by Design program—launched under the Biden administration—especially now that the Trump administration has been reducing personnel and resources.
“CISA remains laser-focused on working across the public and private sectors to improve the nation’s cybersecurity,” said Bridget Bean, acting CISA Director, to Cyberscoop. “This is why we continue to urge companies to develop products that are secure by design, instead of passing the cost of poorly designed products on to consumers.”
A few days ago, CISA announced a new wave of layoffs as it was going through a workforce transition to adjust to the new administration’s requirements. Cybersecurity Dive estimated that the agency could eliminate 1,300 jobs and offered deferred resignation, voluntary separation, and early retirement programs to its employees. It has not been disclosed if Zabierek or Lord accepted one of the programs.
Major restructuring efforts have also taken place in other departments. A whistleblower recently raised concerns about Musk’s DOGE accessing sensitive information from the NLRB and implementing workforce reductions.