Google Says Earthquake System Failed To Alert Millions In Turkey - 1

Photo by Alim Koray Cengiz on Unsplash

Google Says Earthquake System Failed To Alert Millions In Turkey

  • Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
  • Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager

The BBC revealed on Monday how Google’s earthquake detection system failed to alert 10 million citizens about the deadly earthquake in Turkey in 2023. The tech giant admitted that it underestimated the strength of the tremors.

In a rush? Here are the quick facts:

  • Google’s earthquake detection system failed to alert 10 million citizens about the deadly earthquake in Turkey in 2023.
  • Only 469 devices received the “Take Action” alert.
  • The tech giant emphasized that its systems are supplementary and that governments should rely on national systems.

According to the BBC’s investigation , Google’s seismological system, Android Earthquake Alerts (AEA), could have warned over 10 million people using its highest-level alert. Google had previously stated that half a million people received a “light shaking” alert during the first earthquake, but the BBC’s research found that only 469 devices received the “Take Action” alert—the program’s most severe warning.

Google’s AEA system operates on Android devices—which account for over 70% of smartphones in Turkey—by detecting shaking from multiple phones. The “Take Action” alert triggers a loud alarm—even when devices are set to “Do Not Disturb”—and displays a full-screen warning message.

The BBC estimates that, during the 2023 earthquakes, which killed 55,000 people, users could have been woken by the alarm, giving them roughly 35 seconds to move to safety. The first quake struck at 4:17 a.m., when most people were asleep.

While Google’s system was operational—it works in about 100 countries as part of its “global safety net”—it misjudged the severity of the tremors. The system initially predicted magnitudes of 4.5 and 4.9 on the Moment Magnitude Scale (MMS), while the actual quake registered a 7.8.

“We continue to improve the system based on what we learn in each earthquake”, said a spokesperson from Google to the BBC. “Every earthquake early warning system grapples with the same challenge – tuning algorithms for large magnitude events.”

For the second earthquake, the tech giant sent 8,158 Take Action alerts and Be Aware alerts to around 4 million.

Google shared more details of how its system failed on a paper published in the magazine Science .

However, the company emphasized that its systems are supplementary and that governments should have their own national systems.

Modern AI technologies are also playing a growing role in disaster response. A few months ago, after Myanmar was hit by a 7.7 magnitude earthquake, the AI for Good Lab used satellite imagery to rapidly assess which regions had suffered the most damage.

Hong Kong Investigates Louis Vuitton After Data Breach Affecting 419,000 Customers - 2

Photo by Christian Wiediger on Unsplash

Hong Kong Investigates Louis Vuitton After Data Breach Affecting 419,000 Customers

  • Written by Andrea Miliani Former Tech News Expert
  • Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager

Hong Kong’s privacy watchdog announced on Monday that it is investigating the data breach affecting over 419,000 Louis Vuitton customers in the region. The cyberattack took place in June and was reported by the luxury brand in July.

In a rush? Here are the quick facts:

  • Hong Kong’s privacy watchdog announced it is investigating the data breach affecting over 419,000 Louis Vuitton customers.
  • The investigation includes whether the incident involved delayed notification.
  • Louis Vuitton detected suspicious activity on June 13 and reported it on July 17.

According to Reuters , Hong Kong’s Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data said in an email that people’s personal data, including names, passport details, phone numbers, and email addresses, have been exposed.

Louis Vuitton reported the incident to the authorities on July 17. The French head office detected suspicious activity on June 13 and confirmed it affected customers in Hong Kong by July 2. Authorities are now investigating the breach, including whether the company delayed its notification.

“The Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data has launched an investigation into Louis Vuitton Hong Kong in accordance with established procedures, including whether the incident involved delayed notification,” said the watchdog.

According to the South China Morning Post , Louis Vuitton Hong Kong stated that it had recently discovered unauthorized access and immediately took action, with the help of cybersecurity experts, to contain it. The luxury brand also clarified that its customers’ financial information remains protected.

“We sincerely regret any concern or inconvenience this situation may cause,” said Louis Vuitton. “We continuously work to update our security measures to protect against the evolving threat landscape, and we have taken steps to further strengthen the protection of our systems.”

Hong Kong’s privacy watchdog urged all companies to immediately notify them of cyberattacks and data breaches so they can offer support to both the affected organizations and individuals.

Louis Vuitton was also one of the brands affected in the recent wave of cyberattacks reportedly carried out by the hacking group Scattered Spider in May. The group has developed sophisticated malware and phishing kits, targeting multiple companies in the past few months, including Nike, Vodafone, and T-Mobile.