
Image by Annie Spratt, from Unsplash
Cybersecurity CEO Accused Of Hacking Hospital Computer With Malware
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
A local cybersecurity CEO has been arrested for allegedly installing malware at St. Anthony Hospital, sparking alarm over trust in cyber professionals.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Malware captured screenshots every 20 minutes, sent them externally.
- Bowie posed as a visitor, claiming a family member was in surgery.
- No patient data was accessed thanks to quick detection.
An Oklahoma cybersecurity CEO has been arrested after being accused of installing malware on a hospital computer, as first reported by HIPAA Journal .
On August 6, 2024, Jeffrey Bowie, CEO of an Edmond-based cybersecurity company, was caught on surveillance cameras wandering the halls of SSM Health’s St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City. According to police, Bowie entered several offices before accessing two computers—one of which was for staff use only, as reported by News9 .
Authorities say that within 10 minutes, he installed malware designed to take screenshots every 20 minutes and send them to an external IP address, as reported by Koco News5 . He told a hospital employee who questioned him that he needed to use the computer because he had a family member in surgery.
St. Anthony Hospital launched a forensic investigation and found the suspicious software. Fortunately, no patient data was accessed. “On August 6th, 2024, an unauthorized individual was identified accessing a hospital computer in an alleged attempt to install malware,” the hospital said in a statement, as reported by Cybernews .
“Due to precautions in place, the issue was addressed immediately, and no patient information was accessed. We worked closely with law enforcement during the investigation,” the statement added.
Bowie was arrested by Oklahoma City police last week and is facing two counts of violating the Oklahoma Computer Crimes Act. If convicted, he could face fines of up to $100,000 and a prison sentence of up to 10 years, as reported by HIPAA.
Interestingly, Bowie’s former employer, Alias Cyber Security, revealed they had let him go years ago due to ethical concerns. Koco News reports that their CEO, Donovan Farrow, commented on the case:
“I wasn’t that surprised… Some people just do things out of desperation just trying to grow themselves… I love the cybersecurity community. I want everyone to grow in that, but this is uncalled for, and it puts a bit of a stain on this type of business”

Image by Mechislav Lavrinovich, from Unsplash
Toronto Mom Says Uber Did Nothing When Driver Left With Her 5-Year-Old
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
A Toronto mother says Uber refused to assist police after a driver left with her sleeping 5-year-old, prompting a frantic hour-long search.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- Police found the child 90 minutes later, 20 km from home.
- Uber allegedly refused to help police contact the driver.
- Company insisted the police file a form through their portal.
CBC reports that a Toronto mother revealed that her five-year-old daughter experienced an unexpected ride when an Uber driver unknowingly left the sleeping child behind in the backseat. The incident occurred during March Break when Julia and her family returned from watching the Raptors game by taking an Uber.
While unloading her other children and their belongings outside her boyfriend’s home, Julia momentarily stepped away to grab the garage opener. Before she could return, the Uber drove off — with her daughter still inside.
“I’m returning to the road and I realized the car, it’s gone,” Julia told CBC. “The three kids are already in hysterics. ‘Why did he leave with her? Where did he go?’ I’m trying to keep it together for my son.”
Panicked, Julia called 911. Police arrived quickly and reached out to Uber, requesting the driver’s contact details, as reported by CBC. But according to Julia, Uber flatly refused to help, insisting that officers would need to submit a formal emergency request through the company’s designated online portal.
“All we wanted was for them to contact the driver — that’s it — and they refused,” said Julia. “This was not a purse or a phone left behind. It was a five-year-old child on a winter night,” CBC reported her saying.
The Toronto police discovered the driver and child through their own investigation without receiving assistance from Uber. According to police spokesperson Stephanie Sayer, the driver cooperated with authorities after being discovered by police, and was not aware the child remained inside the vehicle, as reported by CBC.
The child was safe but distressed, and paramedics assessed her as a precaution. CBC reports that the family received a $10 credit from Uber which Julia described as an insult.
CBC reports that in a statement, Uber said the safety of all riders is a top priority and that their support team followed standard protocols. However, Julia says she’s now pushing for policy changes.
“You can offer me $1 million,” she said. “If there are no policy changes, I will not be accepting that.”