
Image by The Co-op Group, from Wikimedia Commons
Co-op Admits Major Data Breach After Hacker Group Contacts BBC
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Hackers claim they stole private data from 20 million Co-op members, pushing the firm to admit a far larger breach than reported.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- DragonForce shared stolen staff and customer data with BBC.
- Co-op initially denied any customer data had been compromised.
- UK minister urges businesses to prioritize cybersecurity urgently.
Co-op has confirmed that hackers have accessed personal data belonging to a “significant number” of its members and employees, after cybercriminals contacted the BBC with evidence of the breach.
The BBC reports that the hacking group, known as DragonForce, claims to have stolen private data from 20 million Co-op members, including names, addresses, emails, phone numbers, and membership card details.
The hackers presented BBC with Microsoft Teams chat screenshots that included an extortion note, which they sent to the company’s cybersecurity head on April 25. The hackers addressed the company in their message by stating, “Hello, we exfiltrated the data from your company […] We have customer database, and Co-op member card data.”
Co-op first stated the attack caused minimal damage while asserting there was no indication that customer data had been compromised. The company revealed the actual extent of the breach to staff members and the stock market after hackers provided the BBC with employee login credentials and 10,000 customer records from their databases.
A spokesperson clarified: “This data includes Co-op Group members’ personal data such as names and contact details, and did not include members’ passwords, bank or credit card details, transactions or information relating to any members’ or customers’ products or services with the Co-op Group,” as reported by the BBC.
The BBC has destroyed the files and is not publishing or sharing them. The ransomware gang DragonForce demands payment from the victim, but they have not disclosed their intentions regarding the stolen data in case of non-payment.
Minister Pat McFadden declared that cybersecurity should be treated as an absolute priority by all UK companies. Security analysts believe DragonForce operates an attack service that probably stems from the young English-speaking hacker group Scattered Spider.
The Co-op continues to work with UK cyber agencies to handle the incident as the company maintains 70,000 employees across its 2,500 stores.

Image by Jukoff, from GoodFon
Grand Theft Auto VI Delayed To May 2026
- Written by Kiara Fabbri Former Tech News Writer
- Fact-Checked by Sarah Frazier Former Content Manager
Rockstar Games has delayed the release of Grand Theft Auto VI to May 2026, sparking frustration among fans after a 12-year wait.
In a rush? Here are the quick facts:
- GTA VI release date moved to May 26, 2026.
- Game was originally expected to launch in late 2025.
- Trailer features first female protagonist, Lucia.
Rockstar Games has confirmed that Grand Theft Auto VI will now launch on May 26, 2026, pushing the release nearly two years beyond fans’ expectations. The game was originally scheduled for late 2025, but the studio says more time is needed to meet player expectations.
“We are very sorry that this is later than you expected,” Rockstar said in a statement . “We hope you understand that we need this extra time to deliver at the level of quality you expect and deserve.”
The delay caused significant disappointment among fans who had been waiting twelve years since GTA V became the second highest-selling game in history. The December 2023 trailer provided GTA VI fans with their first look at the Florida-based setting while introducing Lucia as the franchise’s inaugural playable female protagonist, as noted by the BBC .
Set to Tom Petty’s “Love Is A Long Road,” the trailer shows Lucia being released from prison before joining her partner for a heist, fueling rumors of a Bonnie-and-Clyde-style storyline. It has been watched over 250 million times, as noted by France24 .
The perfectionist reputation of Rockstar Games alongside previous title delays, including Red Dead Redemption 2, has not satisfied many fans who are growing impatient, as noted by the BBC.
“I’m absolutely furious right now,” said Dienne Kawende, a 27-year-old fan, as reported by the BBC. “I literally got a job just to save up to get a PlayStation 5. It’s all ruined now,” Dienne added.
The BBC reports that GTA VI will launch exclusively on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S, leaving older console owners behind.
Despite controversies over its violent content, the GTA series remains a cultural giant. With game studios facing mass layoffs lately, many in the industry were hoping the new GTA release would revive interest in gaming.