
China Introduces New Brain Chip Neucyber at Zhongguancun Forum
- Written by Shipra Sanganeria Cybersecurity & Tech Writer
China revealed its first brain-machine interface (BMI) at the Zhongguancun (ZGC) forum on April 25. The brain chip implant, called Neucyber , which is similar to Elon Musk’s Neuralink technology, was independently developed by a Chinese state-backed company and brain research institution, according to Xinhua, a state-run news agency.
The Nuecyber BMI technology was tested on a monkey with its hands physically restrained. The technology allowed it to use its thoughts to manipulate a robotic arm and grasp a strawberry.
“The BMI serves as the ‘information highway’ for the brain, facilitating communication with external devices and providing cutting-edge technologies in human-machine interaction and hybrid intelligence,” said Luo Minmin, director of the Chinese Institute for Brain Research, Beijing .
Termed as China’s first “high-performance invasive BMI technology,” Neucyber, which involves multiple technologies, “still is a long way in terms of technological refinement and iteration,” says Luo.
While Neuralink has showcased its first human brain-chip implant user engaging in online chess , China has yet to initiate human trials utilizing its own BMI technology.
Earlier in February, China’s Tsinghua University announced its first brain-computer interfaces (BCI) rehabilitation trial. According to state-backed news outlet Global Times , a different wireless minimally invasive BCI (brain-computer interface) called Neural Electronic Opportunity (NEO) was successfully implanted in a quadriplegic patient in 2023.
These technologies come after the country’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology identified BCI as “ innovative, iconic products “.
In conjunction with its announcement, the government also founded a 60-researcher laboratory in 2023, with a primary focus on expediting innovation and development within BMI technology.
Additionally, it aims to create user-friendly and secure brain-computer interface products with potential applications in various fields, including medical rehabilitation, autonomous driving, and virtual reality.
The Chinese government also aims to accelerate innovation and develop key technologies like brain-computer fusion, brain-like chips, and brain-computing neural models.

Chinese Telecom Firms Barred from Offering Broadband in the US
- Written by Deep Shikha Content Writer
- Fact-Checked by
On April 25, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ordered China Telecom, China Unicom, and China Mobile to cease their fixed and mobile broadband services in the US.
Reuters reported that this decision comes as part of a net neutrality order that was also approved on April 25, which includes Chinese telecom firms Pacific Networks and its subsidiary ComNet. These companies are required to cease their operations within 60 days from the order’s effective date.
Reuters reports that China Telecom, China Unicom, and China Mobile were previously barred from offering telecommunications services in the U.S., which is in line with court decisions. However, FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel noted that there is solid evidence that these companies continued to provide broadband services within the country.
The FCC cited national security concerns, pointing out the potential for these Chinese telecom entities to be exploited, influenced, and controlled by the Chinese government.
Adding to the security concerns, FCC Commissioner Geoffrey Starks told Reuters that China Telecom’s operations include 26 Internet Points of Presence (POPs) across the U.S., which offer various services like colocation, broadband, and data center services. These POPs are critical as they interconnect with other networks at key data centers, presenting potential risks.
The FCC has been examining vulnerabilities in the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) crucial for the global routing system of the internet, since 2022. This is just the latest action to restrict Chinese Telecom providers in the US.